Saturday, May 23, 2009

Review Like Coffee and Doughnuts by Elle Parker


This is the first time I've read anything by author Elle Parker and I'm glad I gave her a try. I really enjoyed Like Coffee and Doughnuts. Dino Maritini, like his name implies, is an old school Italian-American private investigator. He likes old music, ballroom dancing, and his classic muscle car-Matilda. His best friend is Seth Donnelly, mechanic extraordinaire, brawler, and horndog. He will jump anything willing, man or woman. When the two do a routine repo job it turns into anything but routine. Now there are some seriously bad men after them and things go from bad to worse quickly.

The combination of old fashioned Dino and happy go lucky Seth worked for me. The two were opposites but complimented each other to a tee. When the attraction between them heats up you can't help but feel cautious. I so didn't want Dino to get hurt. He 's one of those guys who keeps his emotions and feelings under tight wraps. Seth comes across as a playboy, albeit an honest one, everyone knows going into it that he is only in it for the fun. So I was rather leery when Seth started doing some serious flirting with Dino versus his heretofore playful banter. I didn't want him to use Dino and destroy a friendship that worked. On the other hand it was quite obvious to me, even if it wasn't to Dino himself, that he had feelings beyond friendship for Seth. I enjoyed the case that they were working on and the banter between the two. There was very little actual sensual scenes but what little bit there was showcased the growing bonds between the two.
This was a very good effort from a newcomer to the field and I look forward to seeing more from Elle Parker in the future. I give it a 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment