Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Review Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters


Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters is the second book in the Generation Dead series. First off let me say that I love the covers on these books. Very eye catching and once you read the stories you get how fitting and multifaceted they are. It's not often that a cover fits the book but this time they do an excellent job of it. I'll admit that the cover is what drew me to the first book, Generation Dead, but it was the story that hooked me into buying it. I loved the first book. I loved the characters, I loved the idea of the zombie teens, oh excuse me the differently biotic teens. I eagerly awaited the arrival of this story.

I liked this story. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first though. The pacing was a little bit slower and that brought it down a few points for me. I loved seeing things from Adam's POV, it gave an even deeper insight into the life of the differently biotic, or DB kids, and the frustrations that they face in trying to "come back" to an acceptable level. Phobe's confusion about what Adam and Tommy each meant to her was a bit hard to take until I forced myself to remember that she is a teenager. The other characters were around and some insight into the troubles that they face as a new minority was interesting to read about. It seems the more we change the more we stay the same. In the Generation Dead world all the hate and prejudice is now focused on the DB kids and it makes a person think. It shows how much we hate what we dont' understand and the first action is to lash out. Mr. Waters has done an excellent job of teaching with this series and the stories are written in such a way that the lessons learned are effortless. The questions that arise as a result really can mess with a persons head. As parents you profess to love your child more than anything in this world and parents who lose their children to death often say that they would do anything to have them back. But what happens when they do come back? How do you deal with what essentially is a dead person who looks like your child? Where do these people fit into the social structure? Should they have rights? Are they even people anymore? I can't wait for the third book in this series to see if Mr. Waters answers these questions and how he wraps up the cliff hanger ending of Kiss of Life.
There is even a website where you can follow Tommy's blog, just like in the book. Just go to http://www.mysocalledundeath.com

No comments:

Post a Comment